Interested in technology as well as medicine or other pre-health professions? If you plan to combine the study of informatics with preparation for admission to medical school or another health professions program, this cognate allows you to incorporate common professional school admission requirements into your degree plan.
There are other good reasons to consider this path beyond the pre-med coursework. A technology education builds your cognitive abilities, developing skills in critical thinking and problem solving that are necessary for medical school. This cognate will prepare you for a broad range of careers in IT, healthcare or a blend of both. The IT healthcare job market is red hot, and some of the world’s largest healthcare companies recruit our students.
Several professional and educational paths are available to students who pursue this cognate. Students interested in graduate school may consider further studies in medicine, other pre-health professions, and informatics.
- BIOL-L 112 Foundations of Biology: Biological Mechanisms
- CHEM-C 117 Principles of Chemistry and Biochemistry I
Select 7 or more credit hours from the following:
- ANAT-A 215 Basic Human Anatomy
- BIOL-L 113 Biology Laboratory
- BIOL-L 211 Molecular Biology
- CHEM-C 341 Organic Chemistry I Lectures
- CHEM-C 342 Organic Chemistry II Lectures
- CHEM-C 343 Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHEM-N 330 Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
- PHSL-P 215 Basic Human Physiology
- PHYS-P 201 General Physics I OR PHYS-P 221 Physics I