Academic and Career Planning & Academic Advising
The School of Informatics and Computing Assistant Directors of Academic and Career Planning and Academic Advising team strives to create a welcoming, inclusive, supportive and collaborative environment. We are committed to providing quality individualized advising that cultivates student growth and success. Our programs and services are designed to encourage personal, academic and professional development.
Specialized professionals are available to assist students based on their academic status (current SoIC students, pre-SoIC majors, exploratory IU students and transfer students from other Universities).
Current SoIC Students and Students Transferring from other Universities
After you have been certified into SoIC, our academic advisors will be available to help you understand your degree requirements, define and achieve your personal learning goals, manage your Personal Development Plan, and guide you through course sequencing to graduation.
Make an Appointment
When you schedule your advising appointment, you’ll need to choose the appropriate advisor.
Computer Science and Intelligent Systems Engineering Majors
- If your last name begins with A-L, your advisor is Lara Hillenberg in Lindley Hall.
- If your last name begins with M-Z, your advisor is Bonnie VanDeventer in Lindley Hall.
- If your last name begins with A-E, your advisor is Lynda Haywood-Smith in Informatics East, Room 101.
- If your last name begins with F-K, your advisor is Melody Lynch-Kimery in Informatics East, Room 146.
- If your last name begins with L-Q, your advisor is Christin Sparks, in Informatics East, Room 102.
- If your last name begins with R-Z, your advisor is Shamim R. Ali in Informatics East, Room 144.
Students pursuing the B.A. in Computer Science should schedule their advising with Izabela Kenney at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 856-0052.
Exploratory IU Students, Pre-SoIC Majors, Minors, and Certificates
Our Associate Directors of Academic and Career Planning will help you to evaluate your personal, academic, and career goals as they relate to the Informatics, Computer Science, and Intelligent Systems Engineering degrees and career opportunities.
Make an Appointment
Please schedule your advising appointment with:
Group Sessions: Interested in any of the following topics? Then please RSVP to attend a group session.
- Exploring informatics, computer science, and intelligent systems engineering degrees
- Exploring SoIC minor and certificates Deciding on a cognate or specialization
- Deciding on a cognate or specialization
- Checking on SoIC admission requirements
- Exploring career and internship opportunities
INFO-Y 100, Exploring Informatics and Computer Science (1 cr.) Interested in exploring the fields of Informatics, Computer Science, and Intelligent Systems Engineering in more depth? Register for INFO-Y 100. Offered 1st and 2nd eight weeks in the fall and spring semesters. See SoIC Bulletin for more details on the INFO-Y 100 Course.
Visit the Student Center in One.IU to view your academic advisement report and see how you’re progressing on your degree requirements.
- Check out the School of Informatics and Computing Undergraduate Academic Bulletins.
- Look up academic dates and deadlines—such as when registration begins and drop/add ends—through the Office of the Registrar.
To aspire to be recognized as exemplars at engaging students in an integrative academic advising, self-assessment, and career exploration process designed to help students identify and realize their academic, professional, and personal goals.