School of Informatics and Computing
INFO I391 Capstone Project Internship
In order to receive academic credit for the I391 internship, each intern must complete a series of deliverables. We suggest you print this document and use it as a checklist.
During the internship
Biweekly status reports
Status reports must be completed and turned in via Oncourse by Monday at noon of each even-numbered week of the semester. Status reports should contain the following information:
- How is the internship going.
- Any questions or concerns the intern may have.
- Any difficulties the intern may be experiencing.
- Any changes in the terms of the internship, such as:
- Ending date.
- Scope or type of project is different from the contract.
- Unexpected termination of the project.
- Change of employer status.
- Any other information that might be important.
- Summary of tasks completed in prior two weeks.
- One paragraph outlining what the student believes are the most important concepts they have learned during the past two weeks.
Two weeks before the end of the internship, students should include in their status report an outline of what will be included in the final project report.
At the end of the internship
I391 interns are required to write a three to five page paper summarizing their experiences during the internship. The paper should be well organized (the organization should be described in introduction) and should:
- Describe the structure of the employer and the intern's place in that structure.
- Summarize the intern's accomplishments during employment.
- Discuss the relationship between the intern's academic coursework and the internship.
- Establish a realtionship between the internship and the intern's future career goals.
- Consider how the internship might lead to full-time employment in this company (both from the intern's perspective and that of the company).
Supervisor's Evaluation Form
The employer shall submit an evaluation of the student's performance indicating satisfactory completion of responsibilities via the SOIC Careers site. The evaluation form will be sent to the listed internship supervisor via email near the end of the internship term.
Student Evaluation of Internship Form
At the completion of the internship, the student shall submit an evaluation of their internship experience via the SOIC Careers site. A reminder email will be sent by the system around the date listed as the end of the internship term.
Interns must submit a time log to demonstrate their total hours worked. The format of the time log is up to the intern. Any format works as long as it can easily be interpreted by School of Informatics and Computing representatives to determine the actual number of hours worked by the student.
All end-of-internship deliverables must be turned in by September 30.
Submit all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the internship extends into the following semester, deliverables must be turned in 30 days after the conclusion of the internship. Please note that in past years there has been a longer grace period for completing all internship requirements. That will no longer be the case and grades will be lowered by one letter grade increment for every week that passes beyond the deadline.To receive a grade for the summer term, materials must be submitted by Friday of the 5th week of 2nd summer session (8 days before graduation). If this deadline is not met, students will receive a "deferred" (R) grade for the term. After materials have been submitted and graded, the "deferred" will then be changed to the actual grade earned.