Interested in technology and the medical sciences? Combine your interests and increase your career potential tenfold. This cognate was designed in keeping with the medical sciences minor, offered by the School of Medicine. It provides students with the background to formulate and implement a variety of opportunities related to IU’s Life Sciences Initiative.
Students interested in allied health, exercise science, medicine, dentistry, optometry and nursing will be able to gain basic knowledge in the medical sciences combined with information technology—preparing them for careers in the medical sciences, information technology, or some combination of both. The IT healthcare job market is red hot, and some of the world’s largest healthcare companies recruit our students.
Several professional and educational paths are available to students who pursue this cognate. Students interested in graduate school may consider further studies in nursing, other pre-health professions, and informatics.
This cognate fulfills the Medical Sciences minor IF the cognate GPA is 2.7 or above
- ANAT-A 215 Basic Human Anatomy
- PHSL-P 215 Basic Human Physiology
Select 6 credit hours from the following:
- ANAT-A 464 Human Tissue Biology
- ANAT-A 480 Human Anatomy for Medical Imaging Evaluation
- MSCI-M 131 Disease and the Human Body OR MSCI-M 216 Medical Science of Psychoactive Drugs
- MSCI-M 300 Topics in Medical Sciences
- MSCI-M 450 Undergraduate Research in Biomedical Sciences
- MSCI-M 470 Mechanisms of Human Disease
- MSCI-M 480 Molecular Biology of Cancer: Cell Signaling and Fate
- MSCI-M 485 Physiology of Human Disease
- MSCI-M 490 Special Topics in Biomedical Sciences
- PHSL-P 416 Comparative Animal Physiology
- PHYS-P 314 Introduction to Medical Physics